Call for Papers ESBB Fourth International Conference
29 June – 1 July, 2017
School of Events Tourism Hospitality and Languages
Leeds Beckett University
Plenary speakers will include Alan Maley, Mike McCarthy, Sivakumar Sivasubramaniam, Vivian Wu, Roger Nunn, Naeema Hann, ZN Patil and John Unger. Further announcements will follow in the new year.
English Scholars Beyond Borders is a non-profit circle of international academics. The aim of ESBB conferences is to assemble English teachers and scholars from across the globe to expand metaphorical and epistemological horizons. English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) promotes scholarship across cultural and disciplinary borders. It is a non-profit organization which supports the notion of the ‘multicentricity’ of English scholarship while acknowledging the role of traditional centres of knowledge. Earlier annual international conferences have been held in Izmir, Bangkok and Taichung. ESBB aims to bring together English scholars from locations which include traditional centres of scholarship in addition to Asian and African locations on a regular basis. ESBB supports and researches into a non-blind review process with reviewers from very different backgrounds. This exchange of values makes its publications truly international.
While the conference theme is English Beyond Borders, our intention is always to embrace the local and the global and to support teachers grappling with local EFL/ESL issues. We are keen to hear from presenters wishing to discuss a very local issue.
The conference will explore the diverse kinds of borders and boundaries that English teachers and scholars must negotiate to achieve success and to benefits learners.
We invite papers on the following themes:
- English for research publication purposes
- Studies which critically investigate academic publishing from the perspectives of authors, reviewers/editors, and Open Access;
- Multilingual scholars in study and publication
- Non-blind dialogic review
- Multi/bilingual issues in language learning and linguistics
- EAP/ESP across borders
- English literature across borders
- CLIL (Content and Language Integrated learning)/EMI (English Medium Instruction)
- Study abroad and International exchange
- Interdisciplinary issues in TESOL
- Encouraging (cultural) diversity in voice and agency
- New directions in critical thinking and reasoning
- Using technology to cross borders
- Role of corpora in language teaching and research
- Migrants and refugees in language learning
Papers are invited on any aspect of the above themes. English will be the working language of the conference. Please send proposals to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: February 1, 2017.
Proposals should include a brief biodata, a 50-75 word abstract and a one page summary of approximately 300 words.
The registration fee is £195 per delegate and includes the conference pack, refreshments, lunch and inclusion of your paper in the seminar proceedings, if accepted for publication. Registration fee for students is £145 per delegate.
For information about abstracts and publication of proceedings, please contact Dr. Naeema Hann at email@example.com or +44 (0)113 81 25179. For information about ESBB contact Dr. Roger Nunn firstname.lastname@example.org or at +971526993957
Japan 2018 (local organiser is ESBB member Dr Theron Muller).
Several offers beyond 2018 are under consideration with South Africa (Cape Town) and India as a likely destinations in 2019/2020. We also host occasional smaller conferences and symposia.